STUDENT RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION
Student Residence Permit - First Application for Degree-Seeking Students
Be aware that this information is the summary of previously gained experience. Every student has to read the Immigration Office official web page and follow the updates about Law on Foreigners and International Protection, as regulations might change frequently: http://en.goc.gov.tr
Students enrolled in an academic program in Turkey for 3 months or longer are obliged to acquire a student residence permit as per the Law on Foreigners and International Protection. The Student Residence Permit gives you the right to stay in Turkey during your study period. All international students, regardless of their status, are required to apply for the student residence permit within a month upon their arrival in Turkey. To do this, you need to make an online residence permit application and submit your files. However, do not worry; we will guide you through the process and submit your hard copy application file on your behalf to Immigration Office Istanbul. However, it is your responsibility to prepare all the documents listed below and submit them to us on time!
You must complete the following documents right after the registration so that we can submit your hard copy application file to the Immigration Office immediately. If you do not provide all the documents on time, then you will have to submit them to the Immigration Office yourself, and your card will arrive late.
- Turkish citizens / blue cardholders do not need to get a residence permit.
- Students who will be abroad during their education period are not required to apply for a residence permit.
- If students leave Turkey before obtaining the residence permit document, fines or entry ban procedures will be imposed by the relevant authorities.
- Students are responsible for prolonging their residence permit according to their study period if needed.
- Residence applications made from abroad are invalid. Students wishing to apply for the residence permit or to extend the duration of the residence permit must be in Turkey.
- If you already have a short-term residence permit, you can make a “transfer application” for the student residence permit.
- If you are coming from another university in Turkey to Istanbul Commerce University, you have to apply for a residence permit within 10 days after you leave your previous university. In addition, you need to get a document as proof of leaving your university before joining Istanbul Commerce University.
- If you register for a Ph.D. program after graduating with a master's degree from Istanbul Commerce University, you have to apply for the student residence permit again.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR A STUDENT RESIDENCE PERMIT
- STEP 1: OBTAINING A TAX NUMBER
The tax number is necessary for important payments and processes, such as the residence permit fee, opening a bank account, or registering your mobile phones. Once you receive your residence permit card, you will have your foreign ID number on it. You can use your foreign ID number for all legal issues; however, until you receive it, the tax number is the ID number you will be using. Thus, you have to start with obtaining a tax number upon your arrival.
There are two ways to acquire a tax number:
- Online Application: Visit the official web page of Tax Office at https://ivd.gib.gov.tr Click on the Application for Non-Citizen’s Potential Tax Number button on the bottom of the page. The application form has English explanations, and it requires you to upload your passport ID scan. The system will give you a Tax ID number once you submit the form. Please enable cookies and pop-ups on your browser since your Tax ID number will be given to you as an official letter in a PDF format. If you cannot obtain an online tax number, you must visit the nearest tax office in person.
- In-person application: You need to visit a Tax office with your original passport and its copy.
See below the addresses of the Tax offices:
Note: If you already have a tax number or Foreign ID Number you do not have to get a Tax Number again.
Warning! If you are abroad, you cannot apply for a residence permit!
- STEP 2: ONLINE RESIDENCE PERMIT APPLICATION
Before applying online, follow the steps carefully. If you face any problems, please send an Email to email@example.com for technical support.
- STEP 3: RESIDENCE CARD FEE PAYMENT
Once you finish doing your online application, please pay your residence permit card fee online (Click here to pay
). If you face any trouble making the payment, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- STEP 4: SUBMIT YOUR DOCUMENTS
After completing payment process, please do not forget to upload your documents at the second step. You must upload all documents digitally. In case of any errors or deficiencies in the documents, your application will be invalid. If you face any trouble uploading your documents, please contact us.
Required Documents for the Student Residence Permit Application
If you are under 18 years old and did not enter the country with a student visa
- The Receipt of Residence Permit Card Payment (110 TL) (IMPORTANT REMINDER: Payment must be done online to complete your online application. Cash payment receipts will NOT be accepted for online application.)
- Residence Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Passport ID page (PDF or JPEG)
- Passport Last Entry Stamp Page of Turkey (PDF or JPEG)
- If exists, Visa Page or e-Visa copy
- High-Resolution Biometric Photo (JPEG): Full face, front view with a plain white background, taken within 6 months.
- Student Certificate. (You can obtain this form from the Student Affairs Department or e-Devlet)
- You have to submit a letter of parental consent written by your parents allowing you to study at Istanbul Commerce University and live in Turkey. It should have an Apostille and must be officially translated into Turkish. You should get a certified copy of it from a notary. If you come from a country that does not have an Apostille agreement, then you should also get approval from your consulate in Istanbul and the district governorship in Turkey after getting it translated and approved by a notary.
- You have to submit your birth certificate. It should have an Apostille and must be officially translated into Turkish. You should get a certified copy of it from a notary. If you come from a country that does not have an *Apostille agreement, then you should also get approval from the district governorship in Turkey after getting it translated and approved by a notary.
(*See the Hague-apostille-country-list Here)